Click photos to enlarge them.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

An Unexpected Visitor

We had an unexpected visitor at our quilt meeting today.  Jeanne came and said she had dressed Morty, the Giant Sock Monkey, in a costume and there was a prize for whoever guessed it correctly.  Guesses were a snowman and Valentine cupid, and I can't remember the others.  I've had a sinus infection for a month and am still tired and not thinking clearly.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  Jeanne brought Morty in and we were all wrong.  Nobody guessed a New Year's Eve baby.  And nobody got the bottle of champagne. 

Morty with his diaper, horn, sash, top hat, and champagne.  You can't see it, but the hat brim had sparkly sequins on it.  I think he tried to put the moves on Katy.  She seems to be ignoring him.
This is Jeanne, the creativity behind Morty.  Jeanne has come up with an interesting concept.  She will make a different outfit for Morty every month and at the end of the year we'll have an auction for him and his ensemble.  The proceeds will go to Heartland Humane Society, the rescue group I'm with.  This is very generous of Jeanne, and I hope we'll have some enthusiastic bidders.  I have no idea how we'll do this, but I know bloggers who will know. 

Our meetings are the third Tuesday of every month, so pictures will be that night or the next day.

Every month we have show and tell of projects we've worked on or have completed since last month.  This is Linda's quilt for her brother in England.  Xena and Lilly, my two very shy cats, as you can see, approved Linda's quilt.  
 Besides the vertical stripes, there's a mid-value diagonal stripe through all the strips.  Not an easy design to execute, but Linda is a master and has had quilts in Paducah and Houston quilt shows.
 Xena and Lilly also approved the bag Linda's quilt was in.  They're not all that picky.
Shy Xena also approved Katy's top she started at the retreat in November.  You can't do any better than a batik quilt in gorgeous fall colors.  I'm working on several myself.  I don't think there is such a thing as a quilt cats don't approve of.
Or a sack or bag of any kind.

6 comments:

  1. Love it! That is awesome! Gotta love Morty... everyone should have a sock monkey in their life. Please tell Jeanne that we all appreciate her generosity and support!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love the quilts. I have only one its a nice light coloured one with blues and yellows and creams. It seems like a fun thing to do quilting together. And the cats approve too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a fun meeting. I hope Morty had an overcoat. It is January, after all....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Girls! Thank you for coming to see me at my angel sisfur's bloggie.
    I am still using Admiral's bloggie...

    xox Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is not to love about a life size sock monkey!! I love it! Great outcome for the sock monkey too, to raise money for a good cause. Can't think of a better purpose for a sock monkey, well except for providing ongoing laughs!

    Looks like your kitties get to give each quilt their stamp of approval. Someone has to do the quality control. I bet if they find a quilt with problems, they will let you know.

    The quilts look amazing. You are a talented bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pics, especially the sock monkey. Good luck with the fund raising. I also love the black and white quilt, stunning.

    ReplyDelete