Click photos to enlarge them.

Monday, December 3, 2012

The Dead Camera

One of the reasons I haven't been posting for a while is lack of a camera.  John had graciously let me use his "good" Nikon camera for my blog photos.  My little red camera didn't have a very good flash.  The Nikon worked well, but I still thought the flash was uneven in the pictures. 


Anyway, one morning I came into the kitchen and found the camera on the floor  It had been on the counter behind the TV the night before.  The flash attachment was no longer attached, and was laying about 8" away.  I'm sure it fell to the floor all by itself and no cat was involved in any way.  My heart almost stopped.  Crap!  John's going to kill me!  I noticed right away when I tried to put the flash back on the camera, that the metal bracket on the camera that the flash slides into was broken off and still on the flash.  And there was a copper strip with motherboard and circuit stuff on it that was hanging out and had puncture marks suspiciously like feline canines.  And two wires were also hanging out.  It didn't look good at all.




The circuit board copper strip was covering the orange square and the wires were attached to something, and the flash attachment bracket was covering that big gaping hole.  I called a local camera store and found out they don't do any in-house repair.  It would be 5-6 weeks to send it to Nikon to be fixed.  Next I found a place 15 miles away that DID have an in-house repairman, and he said bring it over.  When I showed it to him, he said Nikon stopped selling parts to unauthorized repair shops two months ago, and he would also have to send it in, and the cost would be at least $350.  Crap.  I didn't know how much the camera cost 6 or so years ago, or if we could get a better one now for $350.

For two weeks I debated about how to tell John.  Finally, one night, after he had eaten (never break bad new on an empty stomach), I just told him.  I'm sorry.  It was my fault.  I should have put the camera away.  He took it a lot better than I thought.  A week later a box appeared on the front porch.  And just like magic, we had a new camera.  Smaller, lighter, and takes great pictures.  The first thing John did was take the strap off so it wouldn't look like a cat toy.  Sorry, I can't show you a picture of the new camera, but it looks just like the old one, only smaller.

Ronan helped John open and inspect it.

Ronan is my youngest kitten.  Last Sunday he was adopted out to a very nice lady, Trish.  I know Ronan is going to be loved and spoiled.  Obviously, there's something wrong with the new camera that cut the top of Trish's head off, but isn't Ronan just as cute as he can be? 

I have one kitten left, but lots of teenagers.
I won't take any more kittens until some of the others are adopted.
I won't take any more kittens until some of the others are adopted.
But, I really love the kittens.....
I won't take any more kittens until some of the others are adopted.
I won't take any more kittens until some of the others are adopted.

3 comments:

  1. Hurrah for a new camera! Who needs the top of Trish's head when there's adorable Ronan posing for the camera? LOL.

    You will NOT take any more kittens till some of your teenagers are adopted. There will ALWAYS be an abundance of kittens to foster, Barb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, Ronan is adorable!! And I am so sorry to hear about the camera - that is awful. Does it work without a flash? I know someone who might want to buy it if so. I take my best pictures with no flash. That's why 95% of my pictures are always taken outdoors. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, it looks like the anonymous spammers have you found you! I just came looking because I haven't seen your blog pop up in my reader in ages and so I wanted to make sure everything was ok. I wondered too if the camera still works without the flash? Flash is over rated anyway or you can use a stand alone flash. Anyway, now that you got the new camera, where are the posts?!?! :)

    Oh, and yes, Ronan is adorable!! I hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete